I started writing this post about kale chips intending to offer up a simple, easy, straight to the point recipe.
However… I may have gone off on a bit of a tangent & focused on kale chips related to junk food cravings and included my TOP 3 TIPS to keep you on track & help you avoid those cravings from ever happening again!
It’s all about taking your favorite (unhealthy) snack and swapping it out for something as equally as delicious but sooooo much better for you. I like to call this the “health food swap” & this time I turned kale into chips (kale chips)!
& here’s why I’m so passionate about it…
You can take almost any ‘unhealthy’ ‘guilty pleasure’ ‘favorite-food’ and make a few small changes resulting in an amazing, good-for-you, nutrient-dense, no-guilt-required snack or meal. Junk food and greasy snacks are seemingly society’s go to for hunger cravings on a daily basis.
Why do we almost always reach for a bag of chips instead of an apple or a handful of grapes? OR order that side of fries instead of that healthier side salad?
The easiest way to avoid indulging in whatever junk food is available is by making that food unavailable to yourself in the first place. If it’s not in your cupboards, fridge or lunchbox…. you shouldn’t be eating it. Secondly, if you keep yourself full and satisfied with nutrient-dense, healthy foods that keep you fuller longer, your blood sugar stable and energy levels high, you won’t feel the need to devour a calorie-dense, nutrient-void snack or meal when those hunger cravings get out of control.
It’s a proven fact that people who eat a healthy breakfast to start their day are more unlikey to indulge in an unhealthy lunch or dinner. This is because those who choose to skip breakfast to ‘save on calories’ are actually more likely to consume more calories & caffeine within a day because by time lunch comes around they are starving and make much more unhealthy (low blood sugar and energy level inspired) choices. Keeping your body well fed and well nourished is key to maintaining a healthy outlook, diet and lifestyle.
Once you’re ‘starving’ all your will power and knowledge about healthy food choices goes out the window and you’ll be diving for the closest, calorie dense, deep fried, unhealthy, covered in cheese, salt and ketchup option available to you. Our bodies were built to survive during times of feast & famine. Problem is…. we now consider ourselves to be ‘starving’ after an hour or two goes by without food, while sitting on our couch or at our desk at work. In the meantime, no calories are burned, and yet we feel the need to keep consuming them, in large, unhealthy quantities.
Avoid this dangerous cycle by doing these 3 things that all ‘Healthy’ people have discovered…
1. Drink Water & Lots of It. (avoid sugary drinks and large amounts of caffeine, Kombucha is a great option as a replacement for soda… It comes in a wide variety of flavors and has that carbonated sensation that most people miss when they stop drinking soda)
2. Never Skip Breakfast (& when you do eat breakfast make a healthy choice…. this does not include a large frappucino, donut or greasy breakfast sandwich with a hash brown on the side…. eat a HEALTHY breakfast full of protein, oats, grains & fruit or your healthy salad for lunch will never get eaten & will end up in the trash while you indulge in that burger & fries)
3. Snack Often (on healthy snacks) to keep your blood sugar stable and avoid those terrible energy crashes & hunger cravings.
…. & by Snacks I mean SNACKS AS NATURE INTENDED
– anything raw/real food/unprocessed…. (apples, bananas, pears, grapes, oranges, grapefruit, dates, raisins, nuts, seeds, nut butters, celery, carrots, bell peppers, hummus, salsa, fresh guacamole)…. REAL FOOD
– SMOOTHIES!!!! (smoothies are awesome mid morning to keep you going…. they can be packed full of all sorts of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, protein powders, etc. follow some of my favorite recipes & get some ideas to get inspired here)
– homemade trail mixes, granola, granola bars
– or why not make my homemade sweet potato fries or kale chips……
They taste amazing. So, Stop Scrunching your nose up in the air & give them a try.
…. that’s right…. make your own CHIPS and you’ll never care to eat a deep fried, packaged and preserved potato covered in MSG ever again. so let’s get to that Recipe that I promised you at the beginning of this post.